Saturday, November 12, 2011

Oriental (Nov. 2- Nov. 6)

Oriental was one of the nicer towns that we have visited on this cruise.  We stopped at Deaton Yacht Service.  Our charts showed a channel leading into Whitaker Creek where Deaton is located but no information on the depths in the channel.  All around the channel were depths of 3 to 4 feet - not enough for our 5 foot draft.  A short conversation with a worker at Deaton gave us some instructions on how to get in and reassurance that several boats with 6 foot draft had come in earlier that day.  Gingerly, we headed down the channel.  Just as we had been told the water was good.  When we got closer the worker, Buddy, told me I would have to back into my slip.  I asked which side should I have my fenders and lines on for docking.  "Don't worry," Buddy said, "You don't need them - we'll just catch you."  I'm embarrassed to admit that then I may have told him I loved him!  The docking was a little nerve wracking but he and his crew made it almost easy.  Buddy, it turns out, is part of the management team at Deaton's.  Everyone there was not only professional and helpful, they were also friendly.  When I asked Buddy a question about my anchor windlass he encouraged me to go to work taking it apart and doing some preventative maintenance.  If I had any problems he assured me that he would be happy to help.  I struggled with several corroded sticking parts but eventually got most of it apart.  The last two pieces were beyond me.  Buddy researched the windlass on the internet and spent considerable time with me in the shop pounding the the two pieces apart with a mallet.  He gave me instruction on which parts to lubricate with which type of lubricant and gave me some solvent for some of the smaller pieces.  All of the cruisers that I met with various problems at Deaton's (including one who had to be towed in) all agreed that if you were going to have a  problem with your boat you that Deaton's was the place to be.
Maryanne at The Bean - great coffee shop
 

Places that we liked in Oriental: The M&M cafe where I had my first shrimp, sausage, and grits dinner.
The Silos - tasty Italian food.  The Bean - (only recently opened after Hurricane Irene this summer) good coffee and excellent hot chocolate.  The Marine consignment store with an infinite variety of items.  The free municipal dock (where you better arrive early for one of the 2 berths).  And we loved the homes - all beautifully kept all the way from the Boat yard to downtown.
One of the many lovely homes in Oriental

Outside of town there is some blight and poverty -
probably true for most communities.



















There are no tides in Oriental but the water does rise and recede based on the wind strength and direction.  The gale force winds that forced us to stay in Oriental, flooded some of the streets in town and covered the town dinghy dock.   When we went to bed our deck was even with the dock.  When we got up in the morning the dock was even with our waterline.  The water was just about lapping at the bottom of the dock.  This is what is called a wind tide.  This type of tide could be a real problem when we are trying to pass under a bridge with what should be 65 foot clearance. The clearance could easily be reduced to 61 feet.  At 61 feet our mast might not clear the bridge.

Cruisers take note - I could find no fuel in Whitaker Creek.  I had to make 3 trips with the loaner car to fill my 2 diesel jugs enough times to fill my tank.
Partially submerged dinghy dock - a result of the gale force winds

No comments:

Post a Comment