Friday, December 16, 2011

Changing a light bulb

How many people does it take to change a light bulb?  On a boat?  If it is mounted on the mast?  Two - but preferably 3.  On our overnight sail we discovered that our steaming light mounted halfway up the mast was not working.  I hoped that it was burned out and that we didn't have a short circuit somewhere. Maryanne a/k/a Deck Ape willingly volunteered to winch me up the mast.  She managed to get me up above the boom when our neighbor on the H dock volunteered to help.  No, he didn't winch me up - that job was handled my my Deck Ape who only needed someone to tail the line while she winched.  I felt myself defying gravity - gently rising in the bosun's chair to the middle of the mast.  Maybe I've lost more weight than I thought.

I may be tall but this is a perspective
I am not used to.
The housing for the steaming light did not come off easily because I didn't realize that the bulb for the deck light had to be removed in order to remove the housing around the steaming light.  It was a little hard to use the screwdriver on the small screws because my hands were shaking.  I'm sure it had nothing to do with my wobbly perch 20 feet above the deck.  Eventually, it all worked out and Maryanne lowered me smoothly to the deck.  I was impressed.  Maybe if I need to go all the way to the top Maryanne will be the one to get me up there.
A midmast perspective of our fossil free energy
systems: Two 85 watt solar panels on our
bimini and a wind generator on a transom
mounted mast.












Here I am enjoying my perch at midmast - or
am I gritting my teeth?


No comments:

Post a Comment