Sunday, December 11, 2011

Returning to Southport

Maryanne and I find that it takes time to adjust to living on the boat and time to adjust from the boat to living on land.  We will be in transition again as we arrive in Southport, NC Monday morning.  We have a few tasks to attend to including installing a governor on our wind generator.  The wind generator will overheat and fail with winds above 25 mph.  Some nights when I go to bed I have trouble sleeping if I'm afraid that the wind will be too strong for the wind generator.  On many of those nights I get up and tie it up.  With the governor on it should be possible to sleep easier.  I'll soon find out if the governor is so noisy that it interrupts my sleep anyway.

I also hope to install a SSB amateur radio tranceiver that was generously donated to our cause by my boyhood friend David.  David and I first met through amateur radio when our licenses would only allow us to broadcast morse code.  He was in 7th grade and I was in 9th.  We managed to send each other our phone numbers so that we could spend more time talking on the phone about what we had sent in code than the time we actually spent on the air.

I would like to have a Pactor modem but the cost is about $1000.  The pactor modem enables you to send and receive email via on your computer through the SSB transceiver anywhere in the world.  No need to be near a wifi hotspot out in the Atlantic.  I was hoping to get a weather service that would send me regular emails but access to the emails will be spotty.  I am hoping that I can find another way to find weather information in the islands.  There is a way to download weather files from the SSB to the computer.  I'll report on that once I make an attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment