Sunday, March 18, 2012

After freeing up the autopilot yesterday I wondered all night if I would be able to put it back together.  I hoped that I had put all the bolts back in their respective holes and had not dropped anything essential into the bilge.  I also wondered if a large bolt had broken off the left side of the autopilot because I could only see a short shaft sticking up from the bottom stringer that supported the autopilot.  The shaft looked like part of a bolt that might have sheered off.  I find myself regretting that mechanical work was not a big part of social work school.  There doesn't seem to be much overlap between social work education and working with tools.  Who knew?

Dealing with first things first I went through a number of contortions to try to unscrew the box that had half ripped off a supporting wall.  It is really hard to use one hand to unscrew and use the other one to support your upper body at the same time.  Working in the lazarette and engine compartment is a little cramped.  If you imagine what it would be like for a mechanic to work on your car engine from under the dashboard you'll get a good image of what it's like to try to fix something down there.  I don't know how many parts of my body I bruised and strained to reattach the box to the wall but I did manage to get some large screws into it.  I tried to put it in as close to the original position as possible - but I really couldn't tell.

Next I tried to see what was going on with the support on the left side of the autopilot.  The shaft that I had seen was part of a very thick bolt that looked like it went into the autopilot.  After taking apart a hinged plate I was able to fasten the bolt through the plate into the autopilot.    I then reattached the other end of the autopilot to the rudder. With Maryanne turning the wheel I was able to guide the plate and bolt back into position to receive a shaft and pin to hold everything in place.  Did I mention that all of these parts were covered with thick black grease - and that the latex gloves I used were too old and broke when I put them on?  Messy.

I had Maryanne turn the wheel with the autopilot attached.  It worked!  We then turned on the autopilot and pushed the 10 degree left button.  An alarm sounded.  The alarm was letting us know that we had no boat speed for the autopilot to function.  The good news is that the autopilot did start turning the rudder.  I think it is working.  We'll test it out for sure when we next move the boat.  Phew!  It was really hot down in that compartment!  The autopilot better work - there aren't many mechanics on this island - and I know for sure that parts are not available down here.  

I heard some poor guy in Georgetown skyping with someone.  He was saying "but I told you to send it UPS - if you sent it through the mail it may not get here for a month if ever!"  He told me it was medication that he was waiting for.  We know several cruisers who are waiting for parts that are being held up in Nassau by Customs.  I know we wouldn't be able to wait for parts even if they were available.

No comments:

Post a Comment