Saturday, October 15, 2011

Havre de Grace to the Sassafras River

We became impatient to make progress south today.    It makes me think of how I feel when I'm waiting a long time at an intersection to make a turn.  After a while my idea of what a safe distance is begins to change.  I think I need less space to turn with ongoing traffic.  Today there were small craft warnings to be posted late morning.  We left Havre de Grace at about 9 a.m. and motored up the very narrow 5 mile channel to get into position to cross the Chesapeake.  I figured how bad could a few miles across the Chesapeake be?  It was slow and uncomfortable with our speed slowing to 2 knots when we hit a big wave and increasing to 4 knots in lulls between big waves.  The highest gust we saw on the anemometer was 41 knots.  I will try to post a short video that doesn't quite do justice to the motion but will give you some idea of what it was like.  Right now I'm sitting in the dark cockpit enjoying the stars just off Turner Creek on the Sassafras River.  We're both glad that we chose a destination that was near by.  Tomorrow we will wait until the wind is much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment