Monday, October 10, 2011

More Cape May

This summer it became clear that one of the highest priorities for Maryanne - to be worked out by Wednesday - was a plan to be in a port on Sunday where the New York Times was available.  I took a jog past Cape May's beautiful Victorian homes and ended the 3 miler just short of the Acme supermarket.  My stomach dropped at the sight of the empty NY Times shelf.  I checked - indeed they were sold out, but the WaWa by the Lobster House might have them.  The clerk warned me that it wasn't within walking distance.  (Maryanne and I had just covered that distance and then some the day before.)  My 3 miler became a 4 miler.  I ran with an added sense of urgency hoping against hope that I would get there before the last Times sold out.  Success!  I returned with not only a Times but also a Washington Post.

Later that day we loaded our Bike Friday Two'sday Tandem bike onto our dinghy for a quick tour of the Victorian homes that Maryanne had not had a chance to see on foot the day before.  The bike always gets lots of comments: "You fit THAT on a SAILBOAT?!"  Cape May has quite a collection of Victorians - many more than Sea Cliff next our home port.

We returned a little late to the boat.  Maryanne quickly lifted the 9.9 hp Tohatsu onto the rail and I slowly lifted the dinghy with a halyard onto the foredeck.  One question haunted me.  Could I successfully navigate through the shifting shoals close to Cape May or should I choose the safer and hours longer route out to the the ship channel.  The dire descriptions of chop on the very shallow Delaware Bay with a current against me all day had me worried.  We planned to leave as soon as there was enough light on Monday morning.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful homes! We'd love to see pics and learn more about your dinghy and motor and the crane that you use to lift it. We don't have davits either and trying to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts! The houses look beautiful. Maryanne is a lucky woman to have you hunt down a NYT (and vice versa, of course)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvie De Grace, undisputed duck decoy capital of the world. There are more antique shops then people. I also suspected that there was some crime there. Be careful walking around at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did walk in a "transitional" neighborhood close to the water behind the main street. It did seem a little sketchy.

    ReplyDelete