Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Peck Lake

Peck Lake is so nice that we have decided to stay here a few days.  Tomorrow may have a little rain and some thundershowers so we'll stay put one more day for a total of three.

There will not be many pictures on this post.  I went for two swims today.  One to scrape off the barnacles on the keel cooler.  The last time I looked at it was in Staten Island in October.  It took me a little while to get into the 66 degree water but finally I went under and found the keel cooler.  The keel cooler is a through hull fitting that fits against the outside of the bottom of the boat.  Refrigerant circulates through it to cool.  I located it after a couple of dives and discovered it was barnacle free.  Checked the propeller - also barnacle free.  Checked the speedometer paddle wheel and spun it a few times - all good.  Since everything was OK I spent a little time cleaning the waterline until my fingers became white with cold.

I climbed out of the water on our big comfortable ladder and had some lunch.  I then tried to pull the ladder up.  It was very stiff so I spent some time lubricating it with silicone spray.  I then changed, had part two of lunch, and helped Maryanne with some of her PowerPoint.  Since it was getting late Maryanne was a little reluctant to go ashore but I pushed - it really is important to get a little exercise  every day.  I went to the back of the boat to hook the dinghy to the clamps we have that hold it stable for boarding.  

Sorry for the lack of pictures but try to picture this:  I grabbed a hold of the ladder to lean out for the dinghy.  The ladder was well lubricated now and (this turned out to be significant) I failed to tie it up.  My second swim happened before I knew it.  The ladder swung out with my hand gripping it firmly and I went underwater.  Underwater with my wallet and my iPhone.  I pulled the iPhone out of its case and handed it to Maryanne.  Then I handed her my wallet.  She pointed out the location of my hat floating away on the current so I climbed aboard the dinghy and rowed after it.  I hardly notice how heavy my  waterlogged sweat shirt was.  The hat recovered I returned to the boat where Maryanne googled: "submerged iPhone dry out."  Following the instructions we dried it and put it in a bag of desiccant.  I really miss my iPhone - I use it for NOAA weather radar loops, NOAA marine forecasts, "Words with Friends" (an online scrabble game), email, tides and currents, as well as my only camera.  I use it to check the stock market, the local weather, to watch TV news, to read Newsday, and to find our way in the various ports we go to, and to search for stores.  I am undergoing severe deprivation.  We will know tomorrow (we have to wait 24 hours to see if it works.)  I'm thinking NOT.  I wasn't able to turn it off and I have heard no sounds coming from it - it usually dings every time it gets hit with an email - and I know there have been plenty.  Oh well.  I know that's what my phone insurance is for but the deductible is $200!  Ouch.  Well I got into the water much faster the second time and after hanging up all my clothes we did take a nice walk on the beach. 
Wires from the St. Lucie Nuclear Power Plant over the ICW channel.


Two days ago we had to pass under these wires on our way to St. Lucie and Peck Lake.  I always wonder if the charts are right when they say 90 foot vertical clearance.  It never really looks like there is enough room.  Imagine hitting those high tension wires with your aluminum mast.  

2 comments:

  1. Chuck,
    If the dessicant doesn't work, try submerging the phone in fresh water and rinsing quite a bit - 10 mins or so. Then bake it in the oven at around 150F. Unfortunately Apple's anticonsumer policies make this less effective than with a phone one can open for battery replacement. Worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about the iPhone! I hope it works out all right. Nora lost a cellphone that wound up being plowed into a snowbank for approximately 2--3 months. When it thawed in April, we saw a shiny object on the sidewalk. The phone worked...you never know! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete