Saturday, January 7, 2012

Velcro Beach day 3

Among cruisers Vero Beach is known as Velcro beach.  The amenities at the Vero Beach Municipal Marina are perfect for long distance sailors.  There is a laundromat on site, a lounge with wifi and TV, showers, low cost moorings and/or dockage, a free bus into town, or Enterprise Car rental Fri-Sunday for $40.  There is a constant stream of dinghys headed to and from the dinghy dock - many loaded with supplies for the voyage across the Gulf Stream.  Everyone we have met has had tips for us about the crossing and outfitting ourselves for the crossing.  I don't think we've met anyone who hasn't been to the Bahamas and/or the Abacos many times.  When I mentioned to another dinghy owner that I wanted to get a chain for my dinghy but I didn't know what size - he told me to get the thickest one I could because his dinghys had been stolen in Guadeloupe and St. Maartin.  Another cruiser we met told us that he has been living aboard for 22 years.  This is the first place I have been where I have had a sense of a cruising community of very well experienced sailors.

We spent yesterday with my aunt at her condo in Vero.  After the boat the apartment seemed incredibly spacious.  It was strange to sleep in a bed with absolutely no sense of movement under us.  We went out to dinner with her to celebrate Maryanne's big birthday at Bella Napoli.  The food was fine and the owner gave us a nice big piece of birthday cake to finish the meal.  We got to spend some quality time with my aunt with whom we have spent too little time over the years.  It felt good to connect with family here once again.

We met this local artist working on a sculpture in the park.
For exercise today we took a walk through the park past the bridge and out onto a beautifully landscaped memorial peninsula path.



The memorial path with the bridge in the background















On our way back from the park we decided to continue the birthday celebration tonight at the Riverside Cafe.  I had been curious about this place having seen it dozens of times from the bridge above.  It was an experience.  It's right on the water under my favorite bridge for running.  Although it was a little loud there was a mix of young people and oldsters like ourselves.  From our table we could see under the bridge to our anchorage and admire the sunset over the Indian River.  We could also, if we wanted to, watch any of several sports on over 17 big flat screen TV's.

A different view of our anchorage and the Bridge from
our table at the Riverside Cafe.



The most exciting sight today - my first manatee.  It swam slowly past our mooring.  I could see all but the head - so it was either a manatee or an obese mermaid.  The Boston College women's crew team rowed passed us a couple of time doing their Spring training.  Not a bad venue to start their training!







The birthday girl and the slightly funky
decor of the Riverside Cafe.  I missed
including the bowling pin that was mounted
above the mask!

No comments:

Post a Comment